Chemistry is a prerequisite for several other courses in tertiary education, such as medicine, environmental science and biological science. Students taking the IB chemistry course will undertake both theory and practical work and acquire investigation and manipulative skills. In addition, this course gives students opportunities to develop interpersonal, mathematical and information technology skills that are important to life.
By studying this course, students become aware of:
- how chemical concepts underpin both physical and biological systems
- how chemists work with one another
- how experiments in chemistry are designed
- how scientific data is collected
- how experimental results are analysed
- how scientific findings are critically evaluated and effectively communicated