The IBO offers two different math courses to meet the different needs and aspirations of students.
- Mathematics: Analysis and Approaches (AA)
- Mathematics: Applications and Interpretation (AI)
Both courses are offered at Standard Level (SL) and Higher Level (HL). Math AA is tailored towards deeper abstract and theoretical understanding of mathematical concepts, whereas Math AI is tailored towards application of mathematical concepts to solve a wide range of practical problems. Learn about the differences here.
By studying these mathematics courses, students learn
- how to develop mathematical concepts in a rigorous manner using a balanced approach
- how to apply mathematical concepts in a wide variety of contexts
- how to acquire strong technology skills to solve mathematical problems
- how to effectively construct and communicate mathematical arguments and interpret the conclusions or generalisations
- how to form connections between mathematical concepts in different topic areas
- how to independently explore mathematical ideas through the internal assessment and other mathematical activities